Search This Blog

Sunday 13 June 2010

The rhyme and reason of this

Ok, rather than writing a few odd bits, I thought I'd just set out the reasons behind me doing this blog

1. The main driving force behind this is the recent press showing of MS in Hollyoakes. I generally love this show (sad i know for a girl approaching 30!) but it really annoyed me a few weeks ago. They have a character who has MS and they are showing it as a depressing illness and that people who have it want to end it all. I know they are telling the storey from a teenage sons caring for his dad point of view, but I think the general viewing age of Holloakes is the teenage population and if they think that is how all MS is, they will have a very dim view of it. Yes I know it is like that for many, but I want to show the other side! Yes I have down days. Yes sometimes I only just have the energy to do nothing. Yes sometimes the pains I get in my legs are unbearable and I wish I didn't have it. And yes I really really really wish I had never been diagnosed with it but there some good points.
1. I make sure I do something I love as many days a weeks as I can. This can be a very small thing such as giving my husband a cuddle or going shopping for a pretty dress and shoes but I try to be as positive as possible. Otherwise I would be a gibbering wreck.
2. I am fitter than I have ever been! I have always been lucky in that I am of a slim build and the gym has never been a place of worship. Now however I spin, do aqua aerobics, go on the Wii fit, walk as much as poss and do yoga stretches! I need to do these things to make sure I am as strong as possible. Another weirder one is I have super strong arms. This is not from exercise, more from the use of a wheelchair on bad days. Pulling your own weight around really tones the arms! My friend even jokingly asked if she could borrow my chair a month before her wedding to help hers!
3. Mid heeled shoes. I know this isn't a general positive but it is for me! Before I started to get ill, I loved wearing high high heels. Probably a little daft as at 5ft 7", a 4 inch heel is not needed to give me height but purely for vanity, but I loved them. When my legs got all wobbly and silly I thought my beautiful heels ( which i still get out and stroke on occasion) would become museum pieces only.
Thankfully, some great designer decided that mid heels are the new killer heels and the high street followed suit! Now I have lots of pretty mid heeled shoes that are easier to walk in and look so much prettier with a dress than a pair of flats do! I know this is so vain, but they make me feel like a girl again. I can't really describe the feeling of loss when something happens that makes you think you will never be the same again, but mid heels have helped me get a little bit of me back.
4. Amazing friends. I have the best group of friends in the world. They don't treat me any differently to how they used, they just link arms and give me support. I have heard horror stories of people who loose friends because they don't know how to deal with it. I am a lucky girl to still have my amazing friends around me!


I think I have lost track of this thread a little (another MS issue memory of a goldfish!) so I am going to stop here a write some more later. My husband wants to read it, but I am a bit shy about this and have told him he has to wait till I have been doing this a week! Hopefully I will have got into the swing of being a bit self obsessed and actually be writing some interesting stuff! Also I need to start spell checking this, My husband is very up on poor spelling and will pull me up on it no end!

No comments:

Post a Comment